Give the family a REAL buzz by cooking Siew Yuk (Roast Pork) at home.
This simple recipe will make you the master of the hood, if you can finally get the tasty goodies onto the table. You won't be able to resist a little taste along the way - then another one, and another.
Go on, givitago.
1 kg pork belly, cut into 8 strips
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp oil
6 tbsp honey
4 tbsp hoisin sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1. In a sauce pan mix together honey, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, white pepper, five-spice powder and sesame oil. Heat it up and stir until thick in consistency. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
2. In a container mix together the sauce, pork, garlic and oil. Marinate for at least 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 220C. Add a rack to a roasting pan and fill the pan with water, then place the pork strips in the roasting rack. Roast for 10 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to 160C and roast for a further 40 minutes while basting occasionally with the remaining char siu marinade.
5. Once cooked, rest for 5 minutes then slice into bite sized pieces then serve.